This morning the Dafter and I were up on the early side, finishing preparations to surprise Michael, who had completely forgotten that today is Father’s Day.
He was very pleased, and grateful. But we are grateful to him. Here are a few of the reasons he is a fabulous Dad:
- He has always made time to go to the children’s school events and performances (and also take the Dafter to the dentist);
- He cooks delicious teas for us nearly every night;
- He is very talented at drawing funny cartoons and cards;
- He can knit and sew;
- He grows wonderful vegetables;
- When we were battling to have our son properly looked after, he attended probably over a hundred meetings concerning our son’s future. This included being made to sit outside a crucial 3 1/2-hour-long meeting about our son’s future, from which Michael was cruelly excluded by the Social Work department;
- During the first four years of our son being in residential school, Michael never complained about the fact that we made on average 50 round-trips there (3 hours each way) a year;
- He gave up a great deal professionally to be able to look after both our children’s interests during a period of about seven years;
- He stays calm and has enormous patience;
- He does (and says he enjoys doing) all the ironing for our family;
- He is the master of witty puns – and cryptic crosswords;
So for all these things, and more, Michael we thank you. Happy Father’s Day!
And a happy Father’s Day to all fathers (and grandfathers) today!