In the first winter of the Dafter’s illness, I made a Hopeful Stripy Cardigan. The pattern for the cardigan is “Wentworth” by Kaffe Fassett, that genius designer of colours. I had been buying the expensive wool for the cardigan for over a year, one or two balls a month, and I loved both making the cardigan and wearing it.
This past winter, looking at all the leftover yarn from my cardigan, I thought I would use the same colourway but make a triangular shawl. Having discovered Russian seams, I was able to weave every end in as I went. It has been the most soothing knitting project I think I’ve ever done.
Here is the result:
I increased every other row at the bottom, but then sometimes by two stitches per row as I neared the top of the shawl. And I attached a band and ties to the top, as I knew I wanted to be able to tie the shawl around me to keep my hands free.
As with my cardigan, I love feeling the soft colourful stripes around me:
This project was not without its moment, however. The first time around, I realised once I’d blocked the shawl that I had miscalculated the increases for the top 10″ or so of the shawl. Out came the scissors!
I could see where I’d gone wrong, so I picked up the stitches and continued on my way. Once I’d decided what needed to be done, I didn’t mind this, and was actually happy to have more to knit. For those of you on Ravelry, the details (such as they are) are here.
I still have the chopped off piece of soft stripes, and I have plans for that. I also want to try another stripy shawl – seeing as I still have Kidsilk Haze wool left over. But on my next stripy shawl, I want to try increasing every row, and doing my own stripe design. That will need to wait a while, though, as I have lots of other projects waiting to be knitted / crocheted / finished. In the meantime, I’m enjoying wrapping myself up in hopeful stripes.
I hope you’re all having a good week!